Us And Them
BD00 speculates that all non-psycho leaders would love to dissolve the “us vs them” attitude that most likely pervades their org. Alas, it’s not easy to do when your org is structured as, and operates like, a standard command and control hierarchy. Here’s a list of reasons why the “us vs them” conundrum endures within the walls of the CCH:
- We unilaterally set the rules, policies and procedures they are required to unquestioningly follow
- We get bonuses and they get COLAs (Cost Of Living Adjustments)
- We plan their work and evaluate them; and there is no “quid pro quo Clarisse“
- We have a loose set of criteria for evaluating for ourselves and a strict set for evaluating them
- We have nicer offices than them
- We promote/demote them, not vice versa
- We conform them to the org and we conform the org to us.
- We physically co-locate our team in a corner and fragment their teams throughout the org
Got any other “us and them” reinforcers to add to the list?